Friday, September 23, 2011

Ten Tips for Preparing Your Baby Nursery


Where do I begin?  I can remember thinking this when I was pregnant.  I wanted everything to be perfect when my little bundle of joy came home.  I received lots of items at my baby shower and I wanted to make sure I had everything I needed.  I was stressed thinking I wasn't prepared. 

To relieve my stress and make myself feel like I was prepared, I set up my nursery as if my baby was coming home tomorrow.  Getting everything in its place also helped me find out if there was anything else I needed. Here is 10 tips to prepare your baby nursery.

1) Have someone else paint your nursery.  My husband was nice enough to this for me.  I really didn't want to spend the day smelling paint fumes which can be unhealthy for you and your baby when pregnant.

2) Purchase any furniture, baby items you will need.  This way you can decorate your nursery.  I remember feeling so relieved when my nursery was complete.

3) Unpack all baby gifts from your shower.  Placing items in the drawers and closets helped me do an inventory of everything I had and figured out if there was anything else that I needed.  I also separated clothes by sizes.  This way I knew what I had for each stage.

4) Stock up on diapers and wipes.  I didn't think I had enough diapers and wipes after my baby shower but fortunately I did have enough for the first six months after my baby was born. Seventh Generation offers Free & Clear baby-care products that include diapers, wipes and baby liquid laundry detergent. Seventh Generation Free & Clear diapers are free of chlorine, latex, fragrances and petroleum-based lotions and come in a range of sizes from newborn to stage 6.

5) Prepare the crib and/or bassinet.  My nursery is upstairs so I had a bassinet that I placed in my bedroom downstairs. 

6) Stock the changing table.  Make sure you have everything you need when changing your babies diaper within reach.  When the baby is older it is so easy for them to roll off the changing table.  I made sure I had plenty of diapers, wipes, diaper rash cream, powder, lotion and hand sanitizer.

7) Rocking Chair and Lamp- I think a rocking chair needs to be in every nursery.  This way mom has somewhere to sit while they are doing feedings during the night.  Having a lamp in your nursery comes in very handy.  I use to leave the lamp on at night so I would be to see when going in to pick up baby.  I did not want to have to turn the b.right overhead light on.

8) Car Seat - Purchase a car seat that meets safety requirements and install the car so you will be ready to bring the baby home from the hospital.  I was so worried that my dear husband was going to forget to do this and we were going to be stuck at the hospital.

9) Pacifiers - If you plan on using a pacifier, make sure you have plenty.  For some reason, they are so easy to lose.  There are still some missing in my home.

10) Pack a Diaper Bag - This way you will be prepared for when you go somewhere with the baby.  It is amazing how much stuff you have to pack.  Sometimes I felt like I needed to take the whole else but you have to be prepared for anything.


Disclosure:  “I wrote this blog post while participating in the SocialMoms and Seventh Generation blogging program, for a gift card worth $50. For more information on how you can participate, click here.

About Seventh GenerationSeventh Generation is the nation’s leading brand of household and personal care products that help protect human health and the environment. Established in 1988, the Burlington, Vermont based company remains an independent, privately-held company distributing products to natural food stores, supermarkets, mass merchants, and online retailers across the United States and Canada.

More info on Seventh Generation: http://www.seventhgeneration.com/

Seventh Generation on Facebook

Follow @SeventhGen on Twitter

No comments: