Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Christmas Is Less Than 5 Months Away!!


Its that time of year again.  Christmas is less than 5 months away. This is the time that I start planning for Christmas.  I feel like it is never to early to plan ahead.  Planning ahead helps keep me organized and on budget.   There are a couple of things that I do every year that helps me organize, stay on budget and plan ahead.
1) Make a Christmas list. I list names of everyone that I am buying for along with any gift ideas.
 
2) Make a Budget - Decide how much money you can or want to spend at Christmas.  I always add an amount of how much I can spend for each person on my list.   Add each total up and make sure it is under or equal to your budgeted amount.  Sometimes I have to adjust my numbers. 
 
3) List any gift ideas I may have for each person. If I find something during the year at a great price, I will go ahead and purchase it and save for Christmas.  This really helps me stay on budget. 
4) Think about any donations, toy drives, Shoebox Ministries that you are going to participate in. I always donate to toy drives and do (4) shoesboxes every year. With back to school sales currently going on, now is a great time to buy items for your shoeboxes. It is amazing how many things you can put in a shoebox for very little money.

5) Go through my gift closet. I buy things throughout the year that I find awesome deals on and place in my gift closet for birthdays and Christmas. I go through my items and see if there is anything that I can label for a certain person on my list. By doing this last year, I was able to make 5 people off my list immediately.

6) Gift Baskets - I make gift baskets every year for my mom and mother-in-law. I started out doing a stocking for them every year but the stockings never seemed to be big enough therefore the gift baskets began.  Last year I did theme baskets for each, kitchen theme and they both loved them.  I am still working on a theme for this year.

Note: If thinking of doing this, you can find awesome baskets at the Goodwill Store for almost nothing.

6) Gift Wrapping -  I checked my gift wrapping storage this morning.  I have enough wrapping paper, bows, tape, gift tags and gift bags.  I do need to purchase some tissue paper. 
7) Christmas Card List - I have a Christmas card list that I use every year but I always review it and see if there is anyone that needs to be added. This way I always know how many total cards I need to purchase. I always do photo cards with pictures of my children.  Since I have to order these, I usually try to have a picture ready by the first of December so I can order and have them back in plenty of time to mail before Christmas.

8) Plan a Menu - If I am having any get togethers or family functions at my home during the holidays I try to plan my menu ahead of time so I can take advantage of grocery store sales. There is certain things that I make every Christmas and then I also like to try new recipes. I have even planned my menu by the grocery store sales ad. This is another great way to stay on budget.

If you do anything else to prepare for Christmas early, besides what I have listed, please share. I am always looking for new ideas.

No comments: