Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Frugal Gifts for Christmas


Its not that far away.......134 days to be exact!! I look forward to Christmas every year. Last year, there was so much going on, last minute things to do, and it seemed like Christmas was over in a blink of your eye and I didn't get to enjoy it as much as I wanted to. This year is going to be different. I have already made me a Christmas list (4 names already checked off), started a gift container in my storage closet (where I keep all Christmas gifts together), and decided on what I am going to make as gifts this year. I always try to give grandparents and aunts/uncles something just from Payton. I have decided this year that they are getting Snowman Soup. I also do (8) gifts for my husbands 97 year old grandmother to give her nurses and nursing assistants. They are getting Snowballs in a Jar. I always do Shoeboxes for the Samaritian's Purse - Operation Christmas Child and I have 4 completed already.

With the economy and wonderful gas prices, I am cutting my Christmas budget in half this year. No one is getting left off my list but I am not going to spend an outrageous amount either. Christmas should be to celebrate the birth of Jesus and for the kids to enjoy Santa. Below is a list I came up with for great inexpensive/frugal gifts. I have found lots of ideas online, magazines, and by just thinking of the person who I need a gift for. I love to give useful gifts. I guess I get that from my grandma who always spoke her mind no matter what and would tell you if she didn't like her gift. I have heard her say countless times "Well, whatcha get me that for? I don't have anywhere to put it." That was just her way and I loved her for it.


Inexpensive/Frugal Gift Ideas:

Framed pictures of your kids.
Gift Baskets - Theme Baskets are a Great Idea. Two of my favorites are "Family Night" and "Everyday Use". Family Night could include popcorn, candy, popcorn bowl, drinks, $5 movie rental gift card etc. Everyday use baskets can include lots of themes - cleaning supplies, hygiene products for the family, breakfast basket (recipe with ingredients and a kitchen utensil), dinner basket etc.
Magazine Subscriptions - You can find great deals online.
Gift Certificates for some kind of service/favor you will perform - babysitting, house cleaning etc. - FREE
Hand Stamped Notecards - Buy plain ones at a discount store and add some personal touches.
Create a Music CD.
Dollar Store Items - Ornaments, Greeting Card Set, Socks, Small Tools Books, Toys etc.
Homemade Cookbooks from your favorite recipes.
Homemade Christmas Goodies.
Homemade Christmas Ornaments.
Make a personalized Doormat.
Make a Blanket out of fleece.
Make a Rice Wrap.
Donate to a charity in a persons name. Some charities give you a Christmas card indicating a donation has been given.
Decorate Plain Tea Towels with Paint Pens - Use a stencil.
For co-workers - Take them a homemade lunch in a lunchbag.
A bottle of wine - Some great wines are very inexpensive. Pick up a couple of wine glasses at the $1 store.
Gift Cards - Signup at mypoints.com and earn points for reading emails, taking surveys, online shopping through them to earn free gift cards. If you would like to sign up for this, please let me know and I can send you a referral and earn extra points. Then we you sign up, you can in return earn points for referring others.
Purchase wooden ornaments/decorations from AC Moore or a craft store and let you kids decorate them.
Let me know if you have any other great ideas. I will update often and be glad to add.

**Any item that I have listed above to make, just search the internet for instructions to make.

**I also think that the presentation of your gift is very important. You can get very creative with bows, wrapping paper, name tags.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Maria, this post hits at what I have had on my mind for a couple of weeks. I can see that we will need to drastically reduce our Christmas budget this year. But, I still want to give gifts with meaning. I think I may go the photo calendar route for grandparents this year. My biggest problems are nieces and nephews. Homemade doesn't seem to appeal to them these days. So, I am going to look your list of ideas over carefully and see if I can get inspiration. It's great to start early!
And I finally started my blog! Come visit.

Maria said...

I did a photo calendar last year for my great grandmother and she loved it.

I also have a nephew who is 13 and I find it very difficult to find him a "good" present. I also buy gifts for 4 other kids (3 girls, 1 boy) who is between 9 and 15. They are very hard too. I don't think my list contains anything for them but I will definitely keep you updated.

Joyfulsister said...

Hi Maria..
I saw you over at Suburb Sanity. don't you just love her blog, I love her posts lol. Well I'm glad I found my way here!! I also do snowman soup almost every year, but I belong to a Graphics club called PC Crafter and they have wonderful graphics for making different kinds of projects for Christmas. if you like I can send you a sample picture of the new ones I'm doing this Christmas. You have alot of great ideas and I will surely be back to read more.. Aloha Lorie

Maria said...

Yes, joyfulsister please share. I am very interested in seeing.

Thanks for stopping by!!

Sherry said...

Great ideas, but I also have some relatives who don't appreciate homemade. It seems to them that the amount of money you spend on the gift is the important thing. :-( Then again, I have some lovely relatives who relish homemade much more that store bought--God bless 'em!

Teresa said...

We will be making a lot of homemade Christmas presents this year.

So far on my list are a quilt, coasters, a sand table for our little one, and friendship bread for the friends.

We also have already finished half of our Christmas shopping by buying things at the end of summer sales. This is a great time to pick up some toys (for our neices and nephews) and kitchen items!