Monday, August 26, 2013

Back to School Open House - I Didn't Know I Was Expected to Spend Money





Last week, we went to open house at Payton's school.   This will be her second year in school.   She began 1st grade this morning.


I was amazed at how much money I could have spent at open house.  At that time, school had not even started.  Most parents had already purchased school supplies, clothes, shoes, backpacks, lunchboxes etc.   That in itself can be a huge dent in most families budget especially if you have one or more kids in school. 

There was a brief meeting before parents and children could visit their classrooms and meet their teachers.   Within 10 minutes, I was asked to spend a total of $46.

Prepay Lunch for 1 Week - $10

Yearbook - $20

Book Fair - Asked to buy your child a book and donate one to your childs classroom -  The cheapest one I have ever seen is $4 each = $8

NEW School T-shirts - $8

Total - $46


I just wish they could have at least wait until school started before parents were expected to spend money. 

Does anyone feel this way besides me??

No comments: