Monday, January 21, 2013

The Biggest Change I Made Last Week to Save Money

It has been 5 months since Payton started kindergarten.  It has been a change for everyone but a good change.  She loves school and is doing great.  The whole family did have to get on a schedule for school including me.  We have had to plan our evenings around homework, weekly word tests, and a strict bedtime schedule (she is like me, she loves her sleep). 

I have also found that I was spending a lot more on gas since I was taking her to school and picking her up every afternoon.  It is 30 miles roundtrip and I have been making 2 trips a day totally 60 miles a day for 5 days equally 300 miles a week. 

She has been begging since the 1st day of school to ride the bus.  After a lot of thought, I realized I am the only one stopping her from doing this.  It was time for moma to let go just a little bit more.  After talking with her bus driver, I let her ride the bus home last Tuesday.  We decided to use that day as a test day to see if she liked it.  She rode the bus home for the first time and loved it.  She is even more excited that several of her classmates were on the same bus. I am still taking her in the mornings because she would have to get up almost an hour earlier to catch the bus in the mornings.

So she is now riding the bus 3 days a week.  With this change, I have cut back my mileage by 90 miles.   I also have an extra 2 hours a day to accomplish any chores, errands, spend time with Bryson and have a little free time for me.

No comments: