Friday, November 11, 2011

Scents From Nature You Love, and Where Those Scents Take You

It amazes me how a scent can remind me of a certain memory from me past.  The smell of pumpkin always reminds me of my grandma making homemade pumpkin pies at Thanksgiving.  The smell of cinnamon always reminds of Christmas and the dried apple wreath my mom use to hang in our kitchen.

I often use candles and a tart burner to infuse my home with a great scent.  Three of my favorite scents from nature is pine, grass and lavender.  To me, these scents smell so fresh and clean.

The scent of pine always takes me to memories of past Christmases.  Nothing better than the fresh scent of pine to get you in the holiday spirit.  A fresh cut Christmas tree brings more than just a decoration at Christmas, it makes your home smell wonderful.  Growing up we would always get a fresh cut tree every Christmas.  A couple of years we even went to the woods to cut it down.  What wonderful memories I have.

Another great scent from nature is fresh cut grass.  It isn't something you can bottle up or at least I don't think so, but I do love the scent.  Nothing better driving down the street with your window down and smelling fresh cut grass or opening your windows after you have mowed your lawn.  It is one of my favorite scents of summer and it always takes me to the memories of my 74 year old grandma mowing her yard in the summer.  She was stubborn and never allowed anyone to assist her, she was particular on how her yard was mowed.  She would always say after she finished that she loved the smell of fresh cut grass.

Lavender is something that I use often in my bedroom.  I have a lavender linen spray that is wonderful.  The scent of lavender always takes me to the memory of  my neighbors garden in our neighborhood when I was a child.  Of course, I wasn't suppose to be in the neighbors yard but I would often sneak over and smell her lavender.  The scent always brings a smile to my face.

Nothing is greater than your sense of smell.  I look forward to smelling the holiday scents in the next few weeks and seeing what memories it takes me to this year.

What scents from nature do you love?  Do they take you to a certain memory?  Let me know!

Disclaimer:  “I wrote this blog post while participating in the SocialMoms and Seventh Generation blogging program, for a gift card worth $50. For more information on how you can participate, click here.”

About Seventh Generation
Seventh Generation is the nation’s leading brand of household and personal care products that help protect human health and the environment. Established in 1988, the Burlington, Vermont based company remains an independent, privately-held company distributing products to natural food stores, supermarkets, mass merchants, and online retailers across the United States and Canada.

Seventh Generation has created a line of dish liquids featuring natural scents from real lemons, clementines and lavender. Seventh Generation’s Natural Dish Liquid scents come from fields not factories, and honor the careful hands that cultivated them.

More info on Seventh Generation: http://www.seventhgeneration.com/

Enter to win a trip to Italy, France or Vermont

Seventh Generation on Facebook

2 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.