Thursday, November 10, 2011

My Low Cost Quiche Lorraine

I was looking for something different to prepare for breakfast when I came across this recipe in a cookbook.  I had everything I needed except for the Swiss cheese so I picked that up over the weekend.  It has been a couple of years since I had quiche, I hoping it would hit the spot.  It was great and my children loved it. 

The recipe called for bacon but I used turkey bacon.  Also, you can exchange/add/delete the green pepper and onion.  Some may prefer mushrooms, broccoli etc.  

Ingredients:
1 9" Pie Crust
3 Eggs
6 Slices of Bacon or Turkey Bacon
1/2 Cup of Onion, Chopped
1/4 Cup of Green Pepper, Chopped
1 Tbsp of Flour
1 1/2 Cups of Shredded Swiss Cheese
1 1/2 Cups of Milk
Dash of Salt
Dash of Pepper

Directions:

Prepare oven to 450‘.  Line pastry shell with foil. Bake in oven for 8 minutes. Remove foil and bake for an additional 5 minutes, or until crust is set and dry.  Remove from oven and turn oven down to 325‘  In a large skillet, cook bacon until crisp.  Drain and keep 2 tbsp of drippings.  Crumble bacon and set aside.  Cook onion and green peppers in bacon drippings until tender and drain.  In a large bowl, mix together milk, salt, pepper, and eggs. Stir in bacon, onion and green pepper.  In a separate bowl, toss cheese and flour together, then add to egg mixture.  Mix well and pour egg mixture into pie crust. Place pie plate on a cookie sheet and place it in the oven.  Bake for 35 to 40 minutes, or until knife inserted in center of quiche comes out clean.  Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.

To prevent edge of crust burning, cover edge of crust with foil while baking. (I did this!)


Prices of Ingredients

1 Pie Crust - .89
3 Eggs - .08 each = .24 (1 dozen = .99)
6 Slices of Turkey Bacon - .04 = .24 (.65 a pack)
1-1/4 Cup of Milk - .28  (2.99/gallon, 128 oz/gallon, 8 oz/cup )
1-1/2 Cup of Shredded Swiss Cheese - .90
Dash of Salt
Dash of Pepper
1 Tbsp of Flour - .05
1/4 Cup - Green Pepper, Chopped - .20 (.50 for 1)
1/4 Cup - Onion, Chopped - .30 (.79 for 1)

Total  Cost - $ 3.10

Note:  For some reason, my pictures of food are terrible.  It looked better than the picture shows.

No comments: