Sunday, March 20, 2011

My Terrible Mommy Moment

While shopping at Belk, I had a terrible mommy moment.  Not only did Bryson cry but I did too. 

After finding some great deals for dh, I went to the children's section to look for Easter outfits for Payton and Bryson.  Our Belk store is not as large as some.  I live in a small town so the store is smaller than the ones you see in larger cities.  Belk tries to fit the same amount of items in a small store as they have in larger ones.  The racks have always been too close and it is very hard to shop especially with kids. 

As I was browsing the Easter dresses, I was having problems pushing the stroller between the racks.  I kept getting the wheels on the stroller hung on the bottom of the racks.  After looking at the dresses, I was heading toward the boys section and I couldn't get the stroller to move.  Now picture this, I am pushing the stroller between the racks of dresses and it stops.  I push a little harder thinking the front wheels were hung on another rack.  I even backed up and pushed it forward again (second time) but it still would not move.  I finally looked down and realized it wasn't the wheels...............IT WAS MY PRECIOUS SON'S HEAD!!

When dh put Bryson in his stroller he did not fasten the shoulder straps, just the waist straps.  He is only nine months old so he was leaning over the side of the stroller trying to reach for the dresses.  I was pushing his head into the end of rack.  The rack was a double decker with 4 clothes racks on the top and the bottom.  The rack had a metal square on the end to keep the hangers from sliding off.  I was pushing his head into the metal square not once but twice.  I immediately pulled him back and unsnapped his waist straps and picked him up.  By this time, he was screaming and crying.  There was a 1/2 long indention in the side of his head.  I began to cry.  I felt like a terrible mommy. 

Dh had taken his bags of clothes to the car and returned as Bryson was screaming.  Then he saw my tears and I had to confess to what I had done.  After 10 mintes of crying, I finally got him to calm down by giving him his bottle.

You can still see the indention and it is red and swollen.  Needless to say, I have given him extra hugs and kisses.  I know things like this can happen and it surely wasn't on purpose but I feel like such a terrible mommy.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Poor mommy! The baby will heal faster than you will. Don't feel too bad. I bumped my 7mo's baby on the door to his bedroom *really* hard once. Just kinda forgot his head was sticking out just beyond my elbow. We all do things like that.

Tara @ Feels Like Home said...

I'm so sorry to say that he'll have healed and forgotten long before you forgive yourself. I could list a long string of things that I did - accidents, some stupid and some that I couldn't have predicted. Grace has a terrific memory for the good things, the experiences, the fun, but she doesn't remember any of those things. Give yourself a break.

Thank you for linking up on Sunday. I hope we'll see you again this week.

Maria said...

Thanks Cindy!!

Maria said...

Thanks Tara! I will definitely be back to link again.