Wednesday, July 30, 2008

JUDGED BY USING COUPONS!!

Yesterday, I decided to stop by Dollar General again for another great deal. As I was checking out, there was 2 ladies behind me waiting. The cashier was making small talk and I hadn't really acknowledged the 2 ladies UNTIL I handed the cashier my coupons. At first I heard, "look she has several coupons", then it was "goodness, I wonder how long this will take", next I heard "look at what she is using them on......hair products" and last but not least I heard "it amazes me that she has to use coupons because she doesn't have any money but she is buying hair products and not any food or diapers for her child". OK, that was it!!!!! After taking a couple of deep breaths I turned around and said........

"I'm sorry you had to wait 30 seconds for the cashier to scan my coupons. I really need my hairspray. I came in yesterday and got 6 cans. I can't come back tomorrow because I don't have any coupons left. Its a shame you don't have any coupons to use today. I know there is some available for your items. I can't imagine what its like to throw money away."

I paid then I turned back to the "nice" ladies and said don't always judge a book by its cover.

Of course, I could have said more. I wanted to say more!

It amazes me that I got judged because I had coupons!! I really wanted to tell them that I have money. My family is blessed enough to be able to do and go as we please. We don't have brand new cars with all the available options but its our choice that we don't have that. We don't want to make car payments. I use coupons to save money, to help prepare for my childs future, our future, to be able to pay off bills because I am tired of being in debt, to be able to have money in our savings accounts, and I really enjoy the thrill of getting a great deal etc. We are not rich by no means but we are blessed that we have what we do. I guess this is the first time I have really gotten upset when making a purchase with coupons. Nothing has ever offended more.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

So far I've just had to deal with the huffers. You know those poor people that see a coupon and seem to have a attack of some sort and start huffing and shifting from one foot to another. It just makes me sad that they don't realize that if they used coupons to that they might be able to stretch their money a little more. Oh well some people will never learn.

Soccer Mom said...

omg!!! well all i have to say is.. im really glad i wasnt with you b/c i would have not been so nice!!! what in the world??????
so.. u wanna go hang out at dollar general tomorrow? and wait and see if the ladies come back??? LOL

Anonymous said...

As a fellow "couponer" I feel your pain. I hate when people huff and puff when I use coupons. I also happen to work in a grocery store and it amazes me what people say about others using coupons. Rude people out there. Those same people who judge others for using coupons are the same ones who complain that there box of cereal rang up $2.50 instead of $2.00. So they need to look in the mirror before they judge others. :)

Soccer Mom said...

http://soccerm0m.blogspot.com/2008/07/pick-one.html