Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Law Firm

Guest post by Gerard Mcdaniel

I just started working for a small law firm in Atlanta. We handle mostly divorce situations, and the work has been pretty interesting. The hours have been pretty long, and I honestly thought I would be working for a bigger firm when I got out of school. However, I feel very fortunate to have a job considering the market right now. I have a number of friends who graduated when I did who have yet to find employment. I graduated six months ago, and both of the firms that I interned with were not able to hire me because of the economic downturn. However, I love the four other lawyers that I work with, and I have found the work to be rewarding. I pictured myself in a big-city firm in a downtown office building, but it may be that I stay with a smaller suburban firm. The firm’s office is small, and we use smallbusiness.xo for our phone service and internet. The hours can be long, but they are not nearly as bad as some of the stories I have heard from my law school classmates. I keep in touch with a number of them, and many are working more hours with bigger firms.

No comments: