Tuesday, September 6, 2011

ALWAYS Compare Prices


I haven't been blogging in the past couple of weeks because my husband broke my laptop screen.  I purchased my first laptop in April and it has been one of the best investments ever.  I love that I can blog anywhere in my home.  With 2 small kids, going to my home office upstairs wasn't always convenient. 

My husband was very upset when he accidentally broke it.  He knew that I was going to be upset but it was an accident and accidents happen.  I immediately called the retailer that I purchased the computer from to check the prices for repair.  I then called the manufacturer directly for an estimate.  Next, I called 2 local computer repair places for prices.  I was shocked at the differences in quotes that I received.  This is a perfect example for everyone to always compare prices

Here is the quotes I received: (I will not mention any names)

Retailer - $600 to return and repair includes shipping
Manufacturer - $230 just to return and look at it
Local Computer Repair Store #1 - $130 for screen, $75 labor
Local Computer Repair Store #2 - $110 for screen, $65 labor - also includes 60 day warranty on repairs at no extra charge

Of course, I went with the last quote I received.  If I had not compared prices, I would have probably purchased a new laptop. 

Total Savings by Comparing Prices (using prices above) - $425

No comments: