Wednesday, July 27, 2011

10 Tips and Tricks to Get Your Kid to Eat More Vegetables

I have used several things in the past to get my kids to eat more vegetables.  I always try to get at least 3 servings of vegetables in their tummy each day.  I like to try new things and I have worked on sharing this with my children.  Most of the time they do better than my husband.  He is the picky eater in our home. Below is a list of the tips and tricks I have used.

1) Garden - Every summer we grow a small garden.  My daughter and I pick out which vegetables that we want to plant.  She enjoys watching them grow and loves it when vegetables are ready to pick.  She is very excited when its time to eat them.

2) Hide Them - I have cooked dishes before and hidden vegetables in them.  For example, I often hid zucchini in my spaghetti sauce.

3) Serve them with their favorite meal - Pizza is a favorite in my home.  We always have a salad with it.  My kids love lettuce, tomato and cucumbers.

4) Vegetable Tray - For some reason when I serve raw vegetables with dip, I never have a problem with my children eating them.  Dip always does the trick.

5) Plate Rule - I include things on my children's plate that I know they are not fond of.  I don't make them eat anything that they don't like but I do require them.  It amazes me the things that say they don't like but once they try it, they love it.

6) Introduce Early - As soon as my kids were able to eat, I always included vegetables in their meals.  I can remember my kids loving sweet potatoes as babies and until this day it is still one of their favorite things to eat.

7) New Shapes - I often cut up the vegetables in different shapes.  This seems to help them clean their plate.  Sometimes they may have square carrots or circle carrots.

8) Helping in the Kitchen - My daughter is at the age where she likes to help in the kitchen.  Sometimes I let her help with the vegetables.  She likes to wash fresh vegetables.

9) Make Salads - Salads is a hit in my house.  I'm not sure if its the dressing or what. My kids love to salad. Their only requirement besides dressing is a little cheese.

10) Grocery Shopping - I often let my daughter pick out the produce when shopping.  She can pick out a couple of items for me to serve.  She likes this idea and looks forward to getting to eat her choices.

Hopefully, these tips will help you in getting your kids to eat more vegetables.  If have any tips to share with me, please leave me a comment.

Disclosure:  “I wrote this blog post while participating in the SocialMoms and Peas and Thank You blogging program for a gift card worth $30. For more information on how you can participate, click here.”

About Peas and Thank YouPeas and Thank You is a collection of recipes and stories from a mainstream family eating a not-so-mainstream diet. It's filled with healthy and delicious versions of foods we’ve all grown up enjoying, but with a Mama Pea twist—no meat, lots of fresh ingredients and plenty of nutrition for growing Peas. From wholesome breakfasts to mouth-watering desserts, there’s plenty here to satisfy the pickiest Peas in your life. It’s easier than ever to whip up crowd-pleasing meals that will have the whole family asking for, “more, Peas.” Sarah Matheny's delicious recipes and entertaining stories draw hundreds of thousands of visitors to her blog, peasandthankyou.com each month, where she makes raising a vegetarian family easy and fun. She is the author of “Peas and Thank You: Simple Meatless Meals the Whole Family Will Love.”

More info: http://peasandthankyou.com

Peas and Thank You: Simple Meatless Meals the Whole Family Will Love [VIDEO]

Peas and Thank You on Facebook

Follow @Mama_Pea on Twitter

Buy the book: Peas and Thank You

No comments: