Monday, May 23, 2011

5 Summer Getaways Every Kid Should Experience

Summer is my favorite time of the year.  I love the sun and the warm weather.  Everything is so beautiful and green.  The flowers make everything look so welcoming.  I enjoy spending time outside cooking out, playing with my kids, or just swinging on the porch. 

Summer is also the time for vacations and getaways.  It's not officially summer yet but half of our summer is already planned with trips and fun filled days.  I have lots of great memories from summers growing up.  I have always wanted to share the greatest things I did with my kids.  I think every kid should experience the following 5 summer getaways.

1) The Beach - Every child should be able to take a vacation to the beach.  Spend the days playing in the ocean and making sandcastles in the sand and spend the evenings eating seafood.  Walking on the beach and looking for shells has become a tradition for me and my daughter.  We love to find shells that are uncommon and ones that she hasn't seen before.

2) A Day at the Lake - Going to the lake for the day can be so fun.  The experience of riding in a boat is one you will always remember.  I can remember my first boat ride.  My mom was more scared than me, she just knew I was going to fall overboard.  There are so many things to do at the lake for kids of all ages - swim, fish, boat rides, skiing, or tubing.

3) Fishing - Fishing is so relaxing to me.  I love to go and think every child should experience it.  The excitement of wondering when a fish is going to bite your hook is like no other.   My daughter is 4 and she asks to go often.  She really does enjoy reeling in her own fish.

4) A Day at the Pool - I believe everyone needs to know how to swim.  It can be so refreshing to jump in a pool on a hot summer day.  It is also great exercise.  All kids love to play in the water.

5)  A Day at the Park - Every child loves to go to the park and play.  It is a great way to spend time outside and just enjoy the fresh air.  I too enjoy the swings and slides.  Take a picnic lunch and spread a blanket out in the grass.  Take notice to your surroundings. Point out the trees, flowers and even those pesky little ants that try to get to the food. 

I can not wait to start enjoying our summer.  Our fun-filled days will officially begin this weekend since it is Memorial Day.  We are already planning a cookout.  Our local pools open this weekend and the first trip is always exciting.  Maybe everyone should plan something fun and get excited for summer.  Its nice to have something to look forward to.


Disclosure:  I wrote this blog post while participating in the SocialMoms and Alamo blogging program, for a gift card worth $25. For more information on how you can participate, click here.”


About Alamo

Founded in 1974, Alamo Rent A Car is a value-oriented, internationally recognized brand serving the rental needs of airport leisure travelers. Alamo offers low rental rates and a hassle-free customer experience at the most popular travel destinations throughout the United States, Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean, Latin America and Asia. In addition, Alamo customers in the U.S. are able to conveniently choose their own vehicles, based upon their advance reservation and requested car class, and then simply drive away from the airport.

The Alamo membership club, Alamo Insiders, offers its members numerous perks including exclusive, member-only deals, quick and simple reservations, and frequent traveler miles with each rental.

No comments: