Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Coca-Cola Memory and Recipe

Do you have certain items/products that remind you of your childhood?  I do.  Most of them always reflect a childhood memory with one of my grandmas.

While growing up, I use to spend my summers staying with my grandma who also kept other children.  Every afternoon we would get a snack before our parents would pick us up.  While gathering around the kitchen table, we would always look toward the cabinet beside the kelvinator (that's what she called the refrigerator) to see if she had gotten out a bottle of Coca-Cola.  Back then, Coca-Cola came in glass bottles.  As a special treat, she would give us a paper cup of Coca-Cola to go with our cookies or chips.  She would never let us have the whole bottle.  There was 6 of us that would have to split one bottle.  We would often finish our Coca-Cola before touching our snack and ask for more.  She would never give us more.  She would say if you want more to drink, you can have water. Coca-Cola was something she always kept and never wanted to run out of.  Not only was it a treat for us with our snack but she also gave to us if we were sick.  She said Coca-Cola would always make an upset stomach feel better.  I never understood why but it always seemed to help.   To this day, I always drink Coca-Cola if my stomach is not feeling well.  A non-typical tradition that I am carrying on with my children too.

I don't see the bottles of Coke often but when I do I always have to have one.   There is nothing better than a bottle of pop!

Coca-Cola can be used when cooking too.  I have used it before as a marinade for steaks or beef tips.  My mom has made a Coca-Cola cake before.  Here is a recipe that I make a lot during the summer months with Coca-Cola as an ingredient.   I never knew that I would be cooking with it one day.

Coca-Cola Chicken Wings

3/4 cup Coca-Cola
1/4 cup Soy Sauce
2 Tablespoons Brown Sugar
1-1/2 teaspoon of Prepared Mustard
1 Small Onion, Chopped
10 Chicken Wings

In a mediaum saucepan, combine Coca-Cola, soy sauce, brown sugar, prepared mustard, and chopped onion.  Heat to boiling, stirring constantly.  Reduce heat and simmer 30 minutes.  Bake wings at 350° for 25 minutes.  Pour sauce over wings and back 10 additional minutes at 375°.

You can also make these on a grill.  They are great for cookouts or tailgating parties.


For more information on Cooking With Coke Recipes, visit their website at www.cookingwithcoke.com. You can also follow Coca-Cola® on Facebook here and Join Coca-Cola® on Twitter: .

Disclosure:  I wrote this blog post while participating in the SocialMoms and Coca-Cola® blogging program. If I am one of the first 100 blogs received by SocialsMoms, I will receive a $25 gift card. For more information on the program, click here.

No comments: